Mental health is an important part of everyday life for adults as well as kids. It includes things like your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors as well as what causes you to think, say, and do those things. It also impacts how you relate to yourself and others each and every day. Mental health is important at every stage of life. Studies show that at least 1 in 5 children under 19 deal with some sort of mental health problem. Almost ¼ of students in the average classroom have some form of mental condition that makes it hard for them to learn or act normally. Chances are you know someone who struggles with one of these conditions each and every day in your classes. This is why it is so important that we discuss this topic in depth today.
Mental health is important and you should understand the impact it has on school life and learning and that people who deal mental health issues are not weird or strange or to be avoided- they are just like you and deserve to have friends and be treated well too. That is why it is necessary to learn about common mental health issues and to understand how they affect people so you can be a better friend and a source of support for your friends who struggle with these issues.
What Does Mental Health Look Like?
Over the course of a person's life issues may arise in the way they think, handle emotions, and act around others. Many factors contribute to mental health problems, including biological, genetic, and environmental issues. Mental health problems can disrupt normal every day activities and normal actions and behaviors. Mild cases can make people uneasy round others or fearful of odd thing, but severe cases of mental issues can cause people to be unable to function in normal society. The important thing to remember is that help is available and people with mental health problems can get help so they can live long and full lives.
Mental Health and Wellness 101
Positive mental health allows people to live full and happy lives. It allows them to:
- Realize the potential they have to be successful in school and in life- helps kids be successful, motivated, and encouraged to do their best and work hard
- Cope with the highs and lows of life and the stresses that come with it – helps kids better handle disappointment and hardships along with the good things that happen
- Work effectively and practically – helps kids learn good work ethics and allows them to work well with others
- Make meaningful connections to other people- helps kids make friends and form good relationships with others around them
There are many ways to maintain positive mental health and they include:
- Seeking help and advice as needed to get through the hard times in life
- Connecting with people who share similar interests and can offer encouragement
- Staying positive and focused during the harder times in life
- Getting physically active and moving to stay healthy and focused
- Helping others and looking outside your own needs and wants and goals
- Getting enough sleep and staying physically healthy and focused
- Developing unique personalized methods of dealing with hard times
Causes of Mental Health Issues
- Genetics: Mental illnesses can at times be passed from parent to child, meaning the child is more likely to develop conditions during his or her life.
- Infections: Certain infections can lead to brain damage and weakening.
- Brain defects or injury: Some physical deformities a person is born with can cause mental issues or lead to their development later in life.
- Substance abuse: Using drugs, alcohol, and tobacco products can cause mental disorders in many people
- Free Radicals: Exposure to toxins, pollution, chemicals, and other harmful elements over long periods of time can make someone more prone to mental health disorders.
- Trauma: Trauma suffered as a child is a common cause of mental health issues.
- Social or cultural expectations: Being made to feel by parents, peers, or society that they are inferior, abnormal, or unwanted can cause mental issues in children/adults.
How to be mentally healthy
It is important, whether you have a mental issue you struggle with or not, to maintain good mental health each and every day. Here are the best ways you can keep your mind focused and your outlook positive.
- Time in nature- take time to get out and explore and enjoy the world outside
- Relaxation – enjoy a quite moment where you can read, write, or just rest and relax
- Service to others – take time to see how you can help other families and kids in need
- Relationships- spend time with friends and family and those who make you happy
- Recreation- find a hobby, sport, or other activities you can enjoy on a regular basis
- Nutrition and diet- keep your body healthy and your mind will stay healthier too
- Exercise- keep the body healthy by staying active and fit and you will have a healthier and happier
- Spiritual involvement- if your family is religious or spiritual embrace that aspect of your life and use it as a chance to relax and meditate
Mental health is an important part of everyday life for adults as well as kids. It includes things like your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors as well as what causes you to think, say, and do those things. It also impacts how you relate to yourself and others each and every day. Remember what we have discussed here and also remember that mental health is important at every stage of life.
Take Care : Berry Wood